Saturday, June 27, 2009

Onto the Trail, Florence Nebraska, 23-26 June 1859

I picked up a booklet "MORMON EMIGRATION 1840-1869" in the LDS Church Museum this week. I have been trying to find information about the loads, the daily mileage, etc. That stuff that I can use at the reunion should there be a lull in the conversation. So now you know I worry.
This booklet had it- or close. Except that it says 'departure Florence Nebraska June 28- Robert F Neslen'.
Had I misunderstood? I went back to what I knew. The Kirkhams arrived in Florence on May 25, 1859. But I was reminded that a 'delay was necessary before they could leave for the west'. It seems that the delay was pretty much one month.
So I came back to the Family History Library to be sure I had other information correct and I was directed to a wonderful site: http://www.lds.org I have not been to this site before, well, because; but now I will, maybe often. For our purposes here though follow this path: lds.org> about the church> (drop down) church history and then at the bottom of the page Mormon Pioneer Overland Travel. Search boxes will give lists, go to Robert F. Neslen Company (1859) and George Kirkham. The new page gives links for a narrative of the company, a list of all the members of the company and of sources.
All this as it is NOW 150 years ago that they were on the plains and our Kirkham family travels toward reunion.

1 comment:

  1. Ked -- Thanks so much for putting this information together. I really enjoy reading it and adding to my documentation on our family history. PLEASE don't stop when the reunion is over! You have such a wealth of information to pass on!

    P.S. My line -- George Wm. Kirkham to James Kirkham to James Mercer Kirkham to Elbert Kirkham to John Kirkham to me!

    ReplyDelete